There are no Valencia outlets on the list of the best bars in the world in 2022, but on the bright side, Barcelona, less than 400 kilometres away, has three of the world’s top ten bars.
A decade after the first World’s 50 Best Bars ceremony in London in 2012, the most prestigious international competition for the best bars in the world returned this week to Barcelona‘s La Cúpula de las Arenas.
The host city is well deserving of the spotlight this year, with three venues within the top 10 best bars in the world, including this year’s champion – Paradiso, second runner-up SIPS, and Two Schmucks at No. 7. It marks the first year that the top spot has gone to a bar outside the honoured cocktail capitals of London and New York.
This year has seen the rise of bars in Latin America. Mexico City’s Licorería Limantour, up two spots at No. 4, took home the Best Bar in North America again while Alquímico in Cartagena, Colombia at No. 10 (Best Bar in South America) with its co-founder Jean Trinh winning the Altos Bartenders’ Bartender Award. Hanky Panky (No. 13) is the first Latin American bar to snag the Michter’s Art of Hospitality Award as well.
Collectively, bars in London and New York still make up a solid 20 per cent of the best bars in the world list. Tayēr + Elementary retains its podium position of No. 2 falling from the last year’s No. 1 while Connaught Bar dropped eight spots.
The Big Apple sees this year’s highest climber on the list of best bars in the world in Double Chicken Please (No. 6) and the re-entry of the OG Employees Only at No. 47. Another trend worth noting at this competition for the Best Bar in the world this year is the debut of European cities, such as Florence with Locale Firenze ringing in at No. 39, Lisbon (Red Frog, No. 40), and the south Italian city of Naples with L’Antiquario (No. 46).
As expected, there are no bars from Valencia on this list, but, Barcelona, only 350 kms away, has three bars in the top ten list. Good enough reason for another visit?
For the full list of the 50 Best Bars in the world in 2022, see below. Click here to see the bars on 2022’s extended list.
1. Paradiso, Barcelona, Spain (Best Bar in Europe)
2. Tayēr + Elementary, London, UK
3. SIPS, Barcelona, Spain (Highest Climber)
4. Licorería Limantour, Mexico City, Mexico (Best Bar in North America)
5. Little Red Door, Paris, France (Ketel One Sustainable Award)
6. Double Chicken Please, New York, USA (Highest New Entry)
7. Two Schmucks, Barcelona, Spain
8. Connaught Bar, London, UK
9. Katana Kitten, New York, USA
10. Alquimico, Cartagena, Columbia (Best Bar in South America)
11. Handshake Speakeasy, Mexico City, Mexico
12. Jigger & Pony, Singapore (Best Bar in Asia)
13. Hanky Panky, Mexico City, Mexico
14. BKK Social Club, Bangkok, Thailand (Best New Opening)
15. Salmon Guru, Madrid, Spain
16. Drink Kong, Rome, Italy
17. Coa, Hong Kong
18. Floreria Atlantico, Buenos Aires, Argentina
19. The Clumsies, Athens, Greece
20. Baba Au Rum, Athens, Greece
21. Café La Trova, Miami, USA
22. Attaboy, New York, USA
23. Satan’s Whiskers, London, UK (NEW)
24. Tropic City, Bangkok, Thailand (NEW)
25. Kumiko, Chicago, USA (NEW)
26. Sidecar, New Delhi, India
27. Tres Monos, Buenos Aires, Argentina
28. Argo, Hong Kong (NEW)
29. Maybe Sammy, Sydney, Australia (Best Bar in Australasia)
30. Swift, London, UK (Re-entry)
31. Line, Athens, Greece (NEW)
32. Baltra Bar, Mexico City, Mexico
33. Manhattan, Singapore
34. Overstory, New York, USA (NEW)
35. 1930, Milan, Italy
36. Dante, New York, USA
37. A Bar with Shapes for a Name, London, UK (NEW)
38. Zuma, Dubai, UAE (Best Bar in Middle East & Africa)
39. Locale Firenze, Florence, Italy (NEW)
40. Red Frog, Lisbon, Portugal (NEW)
41. Cantina OK!, Sydney, Australia
42. Cochinchina, Buenos Aires, Argentina (NEW)
43. Himkok, Oslo, Norway (Re-entry)
44. Carnaval, Lima, Peru (Re-entry)
45. Galaxy Bar, Dubai, UAE
46. L’Antiquario, Naples, Italy (NEW)
47. Employees Only, New York (Re-entry)
48. Bar Benfiddich, Tokyo, Japan
49. Lucy’s Flower Shop, Stockholm, Sweden
50. Bulgari Bar, Dubai, UAE